POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mega-Pov or V3.5? : Re: Mega-Pov or V3.5? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 03:19:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mega-Pov or V3.5?
From: Mike Hough
Date: 29 Jan 2002 22:46:01
Message: <3c576c79@news.povray.org>
> Please don't cast aspersions like this without backing them up with some
> evidence of some sort.  What evidence do you have that the POV-Team is not
> fixing compatibility bugs wherever they're found?

Most recently there was something in the thread "long time, no see" where
someone brought up a difference in the clock value generated by a scene file
and one of the responses was

"As said, it is a precision issue.  It is irrelevant what 3.1 would output
because it is a precision issue and thus it really doesn't matter if
something changed or not.  Just get used to it."

I don't know if it was an actual bug or not but it seemed to be written off
without investigation.

In another thread:

"In article <Xns### [at] 204213191226> ,
che### [at] sympaticoca
(Coridon Henshaw) wrote:

> Beta 10 ignores the angle statement unless it is the last
> component in the camera block (this change wasn't documented) and requires
> the up and right vectors to be given when using the orthographic camera.

Neither is correct.  Both work at any place in the camera statement.
"

This one is a bug that I noticed when rendering an older file.

Of course, it's still in beta so there's still time for these to be checked
and fixed if needed.  It's just that sometimes users are not asked to double
check if it cannot be reproduced, or if there's a good reason for a change
that it is not given.